Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Editorial: Talking about Disney+


So, Disney+ has been out for a while now. I actually started this post pretty much the day after it was released, but because the service was still brand new, I put this post off a little bit.

So, after having used Disney+ for a little while now, I can say that it is... a streaming service.

Look, I am not crazy over streaming services, I like having physical copies of things I watch, and barring that, there are a dozen other streaming services. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, I mean, if we really want to get technical, sites like YouTube and BitChute, which are video hosting platforms, are not that different from a streaming service like Netflix, the only difference is that the content that is made for the platforms and who makes it. You'll never find something like "Is It a Good Idea to Microwave This?" or "Eddsworld" on Netflix, but you'll find "Red vs. Blue" and "RWBY" on there because... Rooster Teeth is pretty much the internet equivalent of Disney, not saying anything, but it is kind of a Disney thing to acquire a property and have no clue what to do with said property (Cough, Muppets, Cough). I'm sure the ScrewAttack acquisition was a good idea at the time, and I like Death Battle fine... but you know, they kind of forgot why people liked ScrewAttack to begin with.

I got off topic there.

Anyway, if I am being honest, I was pretty interested in Disney+, if only because it meant that Disney was gonna get rid of the Disney Vault. I realize that there are probably a few people that don't know what that is, put simply, Disney had a thing where, they would only release a certain movie or a set of movies for a limited time, and when that time was up they would go "Back into the vault", it was a marketing thing, and one that became obsolete, quickly or not, it became a bad idea quickly, so yeah, if anything good came from Disney+, it's that the vault may very well be officially gone forever, huzzah!

Really the prospect of having one quick and easy place to watch almost any Disney property is really exciting, especially if you're like me and collect Disney movies. Like seriously, I have like, three separate VHS copies of Alice in Wonderland, it is bloody wonderful. Of course, it would also hold the Pixar, Marvel, Fox acquired, Star Wars and National Geographic stuff, which... I didn't even know National Geographic was owned by Disney... damn, really expanding potential Kingdom Hearts worlds aren't we?

Seriously though, the amount of content Disney has on Disney+ is crazy. They have the animated movies, the direct-to-video sequels, the live action movies, Disney channel movies, Disney channel shows, the Home Alone movies, Nation Geographic shows, Pixar movies, Pixar Shorts, old Mickey Mouse shorts, the Star Wars movies, the Marvel movies, seriously, there is more than enough content to suffice a decent streaming service, granted they don't have everything, (seriously where the Hell is Dave the Barbarian? ) but they have a lot.

Content wise, I really can't complain, it's got a decent selection of movies and show and shorts that I would be happy for a good while. Of course they have a few originals on there which, are fine. Mandalorian is okay, I'd rather watch it than Riverdale anyway.

I think the layout is alright too, it has a few categories and a watch list, basic stuff. I don't really notice a "New Additions" list, which, I don't know if they're gonna add one when they start releasing new stuff or if they are just going to ditch it entirely, but it would be nice to have. They do have a list for Ultra HD and HDR stuff, if you're into that, which I'm not, I own six movies on Blu-Ray and one of them was for a little plastic statue.

One thing I will say is that lodging a complaint is easy... too easy. I can't shake the feeling that they purposefully screwed up the order of some shows to turn around and say "See, we fixed them, we're listening to feedback." I mean, it should be pretty obvious which episode is the first episode of a series the begins with characters meeting each other. Yeah, as of right now some shows on Disney+ are way out of order, I mean, with most other streaming services, I would be more leniant, but you would think Disney of all companies would know which order the episodes of their shows should be in.

I do think the feedback page in general is really easy to use. You literally pick out what you want to do, whether it is suggesting something to lodge a complaint. Requesting a film or show is really easy, you type in up to three titles and click submit. Whether or not these shows or movies will appear is, yet to be seen, still waiting for The Muppet Show, but the fact that the feedback page is so easy to use is actually a very big point is Disney's favour here.

Overall, I can't hate Disney+, I love a lot of these movies and shows and it is nice that it is all in one place right now. Aside from a few hiccups, there isn't anything I would really not recommend the service over. I mean, if you already have enough streaming services, I would not recommend it, but at the end of the day, this is just a Disney themed streaming service, and that is what I was expecting. I would not recommend watching any of the shows until we know which ones are in correct order, Legend of the Three Caballeros is in proper order, so you should definitely check that one out. I also really like The World According to Jeff Goldblum, and they also have the X-Men animated series so, if you're curious, it might be worth looking into, but if you have reservations, I don't think you're really missing anything here.

No comments:

Post a Comment