Friday, May 27, 2022

First Impressions: The Bob's Burgers Movie (2022)

You know Disney, you are on pretty thin ice.

Okay that comes off as a bit harsh to the movie, so I do want to clarify I did enjoy The Bob's Burgers Movie. I thought it was decently entertaining and if you like the show you will probably like this movie fine enough. I will say, the mystery element of the movie was kind of meh, not that it wasn't entertaining to watch, it was actually my favourite part of the movie, but I think I'm just kind of tired of red herrings. To be fair the rest of the movie had some decently entertaining bits, I liked when Bob, Linda and Teddy were selling burgers at the pier, so overall I do think this is a solid movie.

It's just that going in, I had no idea what to expect, and this is not because I haven't binge watched all of Bob's Burgers, it's because the marketing was absolutely dreadful. The trailers barely showed any of the plot, and I only learned what the main plot of the movie was with the second trailer. Yeah, the key detail that Bob and Linda are gonna have their restaurant equipment foreclosed on was not revealed in the first trailer. In fact, I don't even know what the first trailer revealed, outside of the fact that there was gonna be a massive hole? Oh and another thing that both of the trailers failed to mention was that this movie is a musical. Yeah, this movie is a musical, and none of the trailers that I saw shared that little bit of information.

I really don't want to make this another Buck Wilde blog, but the marketing for this movie absolutely baffles me, with some fairly useless trailers, it really does seem like whoever was in charge of marketing this movie had no idea what to do, as if a musical mystery based off of a popular show is difficult to market. Maybe fans of Bob's Burgers wouldn't expect a musical, but then the question becomes why are you making this a musical? If you're making a movie off of an existing property and you can't sell it to fans of said property, you may want to go back to the drawing board.

But that is just marketing, as I said the movie itself is solid. It is a musical mystery comedy, and again if you are a fan of the show, you might enjoy this movie. Yeah this was a fairly short first impressions. I don't really have that much to say about this movie, if you're absolutely lost from the trailers, consider this free advertisement, and I genuinely mean free I don't even get ad revenue doing these, it's pretty much just a hobby at this point. I guess I can give this a solid recommendation, even if I'm probably not going to put this high on my favourite films of the year list, I still had a good time watching it, and who knows, I may even watch it again when it comes to Disney+. So yeah, I do recommend it, and be sure to tell Disney that the trailers where awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment