Sunday, December 5, 2021

First Impressions: Diary of a Wimpy Kid (2021)

 

You know, I completely missed the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series when it was big. I dunno, I just never thought the books would appeal to me. To be fair there are a lot of other book series I missed out on when they were big, I didn't read Harry Potter until like, Cursed Child was still brand new or something, and I still have not read The Hunger Games, and I have no plan to. Either way, I'm new to Diary of a Wimpy Kid, I never read the books, I never watched the original movies, I've seen a few discussions of it online, but otherwise, I am unfamiliar with this franchise.

So, my initial thought is, am I the only one who is sick of the middle/high school stereotype of "Everyone is either a loser or a bully"? Because I am absolutely sick of it. This may just be because I am a 2000s kid, but my middle and high school experience is very different from the ones that media liked to portray it as. Yeah, I was never the "popular" kid, but I had my own cliques to hang around with, in fact that is kind of what happened, people just stuck around with their own cliques. It was nothing like the way media portrayed it as. Maybe it's an age thing, maybe it's a culture thing, maybe it's both, but I'm just sick of it.

Something else that bugged me was the mouth movement, I guess it was just that I didn't mesh with the style, but something about it just looked wrong. That being said, the rest of the film looks nice enough, very stylized to look like the book designs. Honestly, it makes me wonder if this is Disney's response to Captain Underpants. I mean four years is about standard for an animated project, and from what I'm reading the production of this movie was a little bit hectic, but it would not shock me if Disney kept this project alive because it could potentially be Disney's own Captain Underpants. Sometimes I wonder if Eisner really left the company.

Something else that really bothered me was the voice acting for the mother, it did not sound as high quality as the rest of the cast. It was really distracting, you go from a high quality recording to what sounds like a muffled home recording. Now, I'm unfamiliar with most of this cast, and they don't do too bad of a job in this movie, but something about the mother's audio really distracted me. What else was distracting was the length of the movie, it's not even a full hour long, and yeah I reviewed movies that were shorter, but it still surprised me that this movie was only fifty-eight minutes. Like, two minutes more and you'd get a full hour. With just under an hour, it makes me wonder why they didn't just chop this up and make it a mini-series. I mean, it's already kind of like a mini-series with different segments with their own main plot, it could have worked. Again it could be a production thing, but this should have been a miniseries.

Okay, for the full opinion on this movie, I kind of found it unwatchable. I did not find it that funny, and I did not find it that relatable. I found Greg to be kind of a pain of a character, like he says he wants his position in life to change immediately and I just can't muster up any kind of sympathy. I get that he is supposed to learn and get better, but I didn't want to see him get better, I wanted to get the movie over with quicker. Honestly, that is just a good summary of all my issues with this movie as a whole. It's not funny, not relatable, I hated the lead character, I didn't even think the ending was that satisfying, and a lot of things about it really distracted me from really enjoying it. Maybe I'll give the live-action movies a go someday, and see if they're better.

Isn't that just the worst way to discover a movie? Like, you watch something that you don't like, and like, almost out of spite look up the original stuff just to see if it was better. Like, that's not a good way to be introduced to something even if it ends up being good. Still, I can't recommend this one, maybe if you're a bigger fan of the books you might find something you like, but as for me, watching it just made me upset. So, I don't think this movie is one of the worst I've seen, it's still pretty bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment