Thursday, April 1, 2021

Blue's Big Musical Movie (2000) - A movie for young kids, but still a fun watch

Guys, just let me have this one, okay? I just need something that makes for easy viewing right now, and I don't think anything gets easier than a movie made for pre-school kids. Does this count for my blog? Well, it is a live action person interacting with an animated world, and unlike Who Framed Roger Rabbit it's the entire film. So, yeah, I think it qualifies. As a bonus for me, I have a deep connection with Blue's Clues. It was one of the first shows I ever watched as a kid, I had those bright orange VHS tapes of them, and even today there is something so... calm and relaxing about the show. Chances are, if you liked this show as a kid, you're probably going to find something you still like about it, like how every clue has a different musical jig attached to it, which is something I just noticed recently. I don't think my connection with this show is as deep as SpongeBob, but it's still a strong one, and I remember watching this movie a lot as a kid. How does it hold up?

While Steve and the gang are planning a big backyard music show, Tickety looses her voice, which is an issue because she was going to duet with Blue. After Tickety finds something else she can do, Steve decides to find another duet partner for Blue, which prompts her to start a game of Blue's Clues. To fill out the plot some more, they put in some extra side-plots, such as Periwinkle wanting to take part in the show, with the misunderstanding they were putting on a magic show, Steve wanting to find a clue on his own, and Sidetable Drawer also wanting a part in the show, but being too shy to ask. Despite the whole bunch of stuff going on, I never thought the plot became too bloated or convoluted, it was very easy to follow. I think that young kids can follow what's going on in the film.

As the title of the movie would reveal, this is a musical. I feel like Pre-school programs have a stigma about them, especially their songs. I was not the only kid that enjoyed the famous Barney Parody, and I can imagine that plenty of other songs would get on the nerves of parents. That being said, music has always been a big part of the appeal of Blue's Clues. A lot of the lessons were taught in song, and this isn't the only show to do that, Animaniacs also did similar kinds of segments. The music of Blue's Clues is actually very jazzy and it carries over into this movie. Even when the song is about having breakfast, it's still got that jazz feel to it. Of course, one of the songs is sung by the late legend Ray Charles alongside the 70s a cappella group The Persuasions, so that song was going to be great no matter what. Look, I may enjoy my share of rock and metal, but Ray Charles is awesome and I will hear no word against that!

That all being said, I'd be lying if I said that I had no issues with the score. For one, Sidetable Drawer's voice actress is... not a great singer. I get she was really young when this movie was being made, but I just think a bit more lessons might have done good. Also, some of the music cues are, actually kind of hilarious. At one point, Steve asks if we can spot "Have Breakfast" on his checklist, and the music that plays is this really suspenseful jazz cue, and it's really funny. It's like adding in a "BWOM" cue after getting a papercut, it's almost too much. Then again, I have to concede that it's respectful to the audience and takes them seriously despite being little kids. I also think some of the songs are really short, but I don't really know how you would stretch a song about wearing silly hats to more than thirty seconds.

As for the characters, they are all just as friendly and kind as they are in the show. Asking if Tickety is okay when she begins to have vocal problems. Encouraging everyone to not give up, and even the new characters played by Ray Charles and The Persuasions, I love that they are encouraging to Steve, even when he doesn't feel like he has the right tempo for his song. It's a very welcoming environment, an environment that encourages learning and trying, an environment that I feel a lot of kids are not allowed to live in reality, be it because of broken family lives, or because their families have poor income. I think that is why shows like Blue's Clues hold up even for adults, they offer this environment that encourages instead of scorns, helps instead of hinders, and does so without talking down to kids. Yes, I see the irony of me, a critic, talking about all of this.

Anyway, on the topic of characters, I really got to give it up for Steve here, he is a pretty good actor. He gets the emotions across, he is decently convincing, I think he does a great job. His interactions in the animated world can look a little unconvincing at points, but it never took me out of the experience, and I don't think young kid will really notice. I never did until I really took a critical look.

Speaking of, the visuals of this movie are great. Honestly, I think going direct-to-video actually worked in this movies favour. When a show gets a theatrical movie, the animation budget is usually increased, so we get a movie that looks like a cleaner and more cinematic version of the show, which can throw some people off. I don't think I can imagine a "cinematic" looking Blue's Clues, so I'm glad it stays with the storybook illustration aesthetic. On top of that, even though the animation is stylized, and let's be honest here, a little bit limiting, none of the expressions ever get muddled, you can still tell what the characters are thinking when they're not vocal. I'd say it's actually better than South Park in that regard. 

I'm going to be honest, as an adult, I was very much entertained by this movie. I loved the jazzy soundtrack, the welcoming environment, and the good lessons the movie taught. Honestly, if you have really young kids, I highly recommend this movie. It's gotta be better for kids than Peter Rabbit, Duck Duck Goose or any of the third generation My Little Pony movies. Now, as an adult however, would I recommend this for watching on your own. You know what? I'm actually going to say yes! A large reason I'm writing these reviews is because cartoons and animation as a whole has this stigma of being only for kids and adults who never mentally matured. I want to crush that stigma, and if that means recommending the Blue's Clues movie, than so be it. If you think that kids shows and cartoons have no value to anyone over the age of three, watch this movie and tell me it has no value. I give this a solid recommendation!

No comments:

Post a Comment