Thursday, June 20, 2019

First Impressions: Toy Story 4 (2019)


Well, let's wrap up this little Toy Story Marathon with the first impressions of the latest movie in the franchise, Toy Story 4. I'll admit, when I first heard this movie was being made, I was expecting to hate it. In fact, I was kind of thinking it would be my most hated movie of the year. Then something happened, a couple of the critics I follow on Twitter started sharing some behind-the-scenes info on the movie, and something changed. I no longer saw this as a cynical cash grab on nostalgia, I saw this as a heart filled cash grab on nostalgia. Then, I saw Secret Life of Pets 2, which you may notice I made zero blogs about, and that was because it was so bland, boring and benign that I had nothing to really say about it. After watching something that was what I shall now dub the "Three B's of Failure", whatever Toy Story 4 had to offer, would have been much better. So, I was actually excited to see it in the end, and thankfully, my expectations were exceeded.

Toy Story has been a movie franchise that got better and better with each installment. Toy Story was a technical marvel and had a lot of memorable moments and characters, Toy Story 2 improved on everything in just four years, Toy Story 3 was my favourite of the series, and then I saw Toy Story 4.

If I'm being honest here, this is my favourite of the Toy Story movies. It is kind of a combination of everything I loved about the other three movies. It's the characters and warm colours of the second, the adventure of the first, and the emotions and lighting of the third, and it is all done so much better.

The movie looks amazing, Pixar really knocked it out of the park once again. Honestly, Pixar has been making a lot of visually impressive movies this decade, Coco looked amazing, Toy Story 3 looked amazing, Inside Out looked amazing, and Toy Story 4 looks amazing. All of the textures look so good, the lighting is amazing, and the animation is perfect. The visuals impressed me and kept impressing me until the end.

And the new characters, as is Toy Story tradition, are also amazing. The antagonist is sympathetic, you can understand what she is going through and sympathize with her and her endeavors. Forky was adorable, he was kind of like Pinkie Pie, or Kronk in that, you can't really hate them. But the character that really impressed me was the returning Bo Peep. Oh, man she was awesome in this movie. She was tough, but also emotional, and she was without a doubt, my favourite character in the movie.

And yeah, lets talk about the ending. Full admission here but, I did almost come close to crying. Jeez, what is it with these movies and trying to make the audience cry? Toy Story 3 with the incinerator and now Toy Story 4? Without spoiling the movie, it did nearly make me tear up.

Really, I'm just amazed at this movie. The new characters were wonderful, the movie had good amounts of humour, it looked beautiful. Some of the audience members in my theatre actually applauded at the end, and yeah, this has been one of two movies I've seen this year that really deserved it. Quite frankly, when you're on par with How to Train Your Dragon, that is one of the greatest compliments that can be given to a movie. Yeah, High Recommendation for this one.


And that wraps up our Toy Story Marathon, it was fun looking at all of these movies, but now it's time to look at something a little bit out there. See you next time at the Odeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment