Monday, March 18, 2019

Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) - An odd and amusing trip in the fun and bizarre.


Japan is known for making great animated features, from the Studio Ghibli classics to films like Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Paprika, many of Japan's animated features have become well loved by western audiences. So for my first review of an anime movie, I figured I would talk about a more recent feature that I've added to my collection, "Night is Short, Walk on Girl".

While on a night out, a young woman (referred to as Kōhai in the movie) ends up going on many bizarre misadventures including entering a drinking contest with a supernatural being, meeting a god of used-book sales, and becoming the lead in a guerrilla play. At the same time, a young man (referred to as Senpai) tries to find her and confess his feelings while he ends up in different misadventures, including getting his underwear stolen, getting taken into a secret society, and getting pushed into an eating contest for a book, trust me this is all weirder than it sounds. The movie is split into these separate plots though they transition into each other smoothly. After the drinking contest, Kōhai remembers a book she had that might be at a used book fair, after that she witnesses a guerrilla play and goes to follow that plot for a bit. Never was I left wondering how one plot transitioned into another and I found most of the stories to be entertaining to watch.

Kōhai is a great character, always moving at her own pace and seeming to have the best of times. She is usually kind and upbeat, but is not afraid to punch someone if they get on her nerves. Most of the cast is also really good, with their own entertaining mannerisms and humour. I do have a few issues with Senpai though, as his attempts at advancements can be kind of creepy. Despite that, the ways he get's pushed around into things is all fairly amusing, and the cartoonish way he tried to get himself onto the stage in the guerrilla play is funny as well.

Comedy wise, this movie's fine. I think most of the humour comes from the bizarre and cartoonish scenarios and characters, but I never felt that the movie was making painful jokes or really unfunny jokes either. I guess it just depends on your cup of tea.

Animation wise however, this movie really shines. The cartoony animation leads to a lot of exaggeration, and this is what I love animation for. When the movie shows someone sick, it's not just someone that's sick, their entire house is shaking and coughing as well. Mouths and necks stretch to accommodate massive amounts of food and liquor, and there is a lot of bizarre imagery. Especially towards the end where we watch what I can only assume is a fever dream sequence being had by Senpai. Thought that is where the bizarre visuals did start to become uninteresting, the ending of the movie is a nice and calm reward to the total bizarre romp that was the movie.

Night is Short, Walk on Girl is a visual delight. It reminds me a lot of Yellow Submarine where it's more about the experience rather than the story. As an experience it is a fantastical watch and worth seeing just for the cartoony animation style. As a movie, it's a hectic watch with amusing characters I was always glad to see return, and some stories that make this an entertaining watch for more than it's visual appeal. I think anyone who wants to give anime a try but cant get into the art style, this would be a good introductory film. For anyone else, I think it is a fine watch that would delight almost anyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment